Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Lazy



As I was walking to class in the snow, i got to thinking about random things. Like, why is America so obese? It's pretty much a new thing, so why all of a sudden over the last few years. The thing that pains me the most is obese children. It makes me so sad because you know they get picked on like the dickens from the other kids at school. Plus, it can't be comfortable to carry all that around...not to mention it is life threatening. Also, why don't families have dinner together anymore? It has evolved into a 'fend for yourself' thing, and whatever food you can find you can eat. Thats what my mom used to say to my brother and I when we were hungry and in our teenage years..."Whatever you find you can eat". Another totally weird thing I thought of, is why is tying our shoes like pretty much obsolete now? I tried to remember the last time I tied my shoes, and I couldn't! I have all those slip on shoes...Vans, heels, tennis shoes with no laces, and boots that just have stretchy material that slips nicely over your heel. Sure they are comfortable and all, but theres nothing like a nice laced up shoe. After a while all of the randomness started coming together, believe it or not, and I started to see a connection between my thoughts. It was, America is lazy...and maybe not just America...but the whole world in fact! Everything is about some little time saving device. I mean for crying out loud...do we not have time to bend down and tie our shoes?! Maybe that would help with the obesity, because people would have to bend down to get to their feet! Don't misunderstand, I am guilty of this little crime as well. It seems like I no longer have time for anything. What can be done, I am not sure. But something surely must be, or we will all crash from too much pressure.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

my question is where is all our time going? If our ancestors had time out on the prairie to make breakfast lunch and dinner for their families in between farming, feeding cattle, plowing and surviving, why can't we?

Lizi Dorff said...

it's all about the time management. it's not my favorite

Courtney said...

I still lace up my tennis shoes, so that's not too much of a problem for me. I'm not sure that it's laziness as much as that as we impose so much stress on ourselves, and we cope with food. I think we just plain eat too much. A ton of families reward their children with food when they do something good, and those kids turn into adults that carry that method of reinforcement with them for the rest of their lives.