Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My closest encounter with Japan

This past holiday weekend my fiance and I went to an interesting little restaurant in Lehi called Teppanyaki. It was for my fiance's work party, so there were about twenty of us eating together at the restaurant. The layout is unlike I have ever seen before. You don't just sit there and have your food brought out to you, the chefs actually cook it in front of you! You sit at this large square table, but the middle is cut out, and there is a large teppan in it's place. (I later learned that teppanyaki gets its name from the word "teppan", which means iron plate, and "yaki", which means grilled). The waiter then takes everyone's order, and within minutes a chef emerges with a huge cart. On the cart is all of the food that everyone in your party ordered, and all of the ingredients needed to prepare it. The chefs don't just make your food either, it is an interactive and quite social dinner. The chef that we had did tricks while making our food. He made huge flames on the teppan, as well as an "onion volcano", (as my fiance liked to call it). While he was making the fried rice he cracked three eggs as well. He threw the first two up in the air and caught them with his metal spatulas, and then cracked them without using his hands. Like I said, it was entertaining. Then with the last egg he said "American way", and just cracked it all boringly with his hands. Once he was done with the show, aka cooking our food, then he started throwing shrimp in people's mouths for them to catch. My fiance and I kindly declined to have flying fish thrown at us, but there were others in our party who did not. In fact this one guy that my fiance works with caught 5 in a row! Impressive! When the chefs left and it was time to eat, EVERYTHING was good. I absolutely loved the sushi, fillet mignon, fried rice, and salmon! What made it even better was that we didn't have to pay for any of it! So naturally we got a lot of food, and one plate was actually $22! If I was having to pay I am not sure I would go back just because I will be a poor newlywed college student soon. However, for special occasions I would consider it because it was absolutely enjoyable.

3 comments:

Alina said...

I have to agree that it is really nice when you don't have to pay for an absolutely delicious meal! Especially when you get that free meal at a really delicious restaurant. Last April when my cousin graduated from BYU her father took all of the older cousins and adults in our family to eat at the Chef's Table. It was absolutely delicious! And like you said, it's always that much better when you don't have to pay for it!

Shannon said...

That sounds really entertaining, i am going to have to go sometime. I haven't been to a good asian resturaunt in a while.

Alex said...

I love Teppanyaki places. I have been to a couple of different ones, but they are all the same! They do the same things...onion volcano...fliping the food into mouths, but it is a blast, and delicious.