Wednesday, January 16, 2008

An "Odd" waiter


I enjoy eating at many restaurants so it is hard for me to choose a favorite. However, I think if I had to choose I would go with Olive Garden. I am a sucker for Italian food, and Olive Garden isn’t too expensive. My fiancé and I had an interesting experience at the Olive Garden in West Jordan. We sat down at our table, and the waiter introduced himself as “Odd”. Now not only is his name weird, but his but his disposition was just…well odd.
“Have we been here before?” he asks with his hands folded and an inclined head.

We say yes, and I’m pretty sure our bewildered thoughts showed right through our faces. He was like something from back in time. He said words like "shall" and "thy",and it was quite odd. When he asks what we would like to order I already knew what I wanted to try! I saw a commercial on T.V. for the new chicken lasagna rollatini, and I was dying to try it. I wanted the salad instead of the soup, (I just love their salads), and I specify that I want Italian dressing, not ranch like my fiancé got. When he comes back with the salads he says “ranch” and sets it down in front of me with a wink. It wasn’t ranch thank goodness, but I don’t think he said “ranch” on accident. Then when he brought out my dish, he asked if I wanted cheese. I said yes of course, and when he was shredding the cheese onto my plate, he told me to say "when". So when he reached a good amount, I said "when". He didn't stop, so I said "thats good", but he still didn't stop! SO finally I said it really loud, "THATS GOOD!" He finally stopped, and when he left my fiancé and I laughed. I had a mountian of cheese on my plate. Other than that, he was a great waiter...entertaining as well. Before either of us could finish our drink even halfway, he had a refill on the table waiting. Service is important to me, so I appreciated how on top of things Odd was. Overall it was a great experience...just a little bit odd.

4 comments:

Bryce said...

I am a big sucker for Italian food too. I am crazy about the Maccaroni Grill or Carrabas which is great place as well. I have never had a problem with any kind of service whatsoever. The only thing which I find is odd is how strange some of the platters look when they bring them out, but the taste is incredible.

Fishball said...

Yeah, one time I went to the Olive Garden here in Provo, and had the best waiter/service in my life. Maybe the Garden is just a classy place or something.

Rob said...

I agree that good service just makes the dining experience all the more enjoyable. My fiance and I ate at a restaurant just a month ago and the waitress there was so thoughtful and good at her job that to this day we still talk about Jenny who served us at Mimi's Cafe.

jsharendt said...

Herer what you do. The next time you go into the olive garden, go in and ask for the same bad aiter then at the begining of the meal be like oh yeah we had you before and you were aweful. That way the waiter either steps up r your not obligated to give a tip. Either way you are important to the development of the waiters waiting skills.